- 1 How do you remove the stickiness from frozen okra?
- 2 How do you defrost okra?
- 3 Can I use frozen okra instead of fresh?
- 4 Is frozen okra good?
- 5 Do I need to thaw frozen okra before frying?
- 6 Why is okra bad for you?
- 7 How long can you keep frozen okra?
- 8 How do you microwave frozen okra?
- 9 How do you prepare okra for the freezer?
- 10 Can frozen okra go bad?
- 11 Can frozen breaded okra be baked?
- 12 Will frozen okra thicken soup?
- 13 What is the best frozen okra to buy?
- 14 How long do you boil frozen okra?
- 15 Can you use frozen okra to make okra water?
How do you remove the stickiness from frozen okra?
Soaking it in Vinegar (Optional) Some say that soaking Okra in a Vinegar and Water (mix together 1 cup Vinegar in a litre of water) solution for an hour can help reduce the slime. We’ve never tried it because we’ve never felt the need for it, but you could give it a go if you have an extra hour.
How do you defrost okra?
To thaw the frozen okra, put it in a microwave and stir periodically. It can be also be thawed by placing them in a skillet over medium-low heat. Stir periodically until warmed. Do not defrost frozen okra.
Can I use frozen okra instead of fresh?
Do not substitute frozen okra, which will be too watery. Wash okra and pat dry. Remove tips and ends, and cut into 1/2-inch slices. Add okra, tossing well until coated.
Is frozen okra good?
Frozen baby okra, in a bag or a box, is actually as good a vegetable as I have ever bought from a farmer. The pods are small and firm and never seem waterlogged or freezer distressed like other frozen green vegetables, and you never have to deal with the prickly fuzz that covers superfresh pods.
Do I need to thaw frozen okra before frying?
Do you thaw frozen okra before frying? I much prefer this made with fresh okra, but in all honesty, frozen cut okra works really well. And a lot of the work is already done for you being that it’s been washed, trimmed, and cut into bite size pieces. You’ll just need to thaw it completely first.
Why is okra bad for you?
Eating too much okra can adversely affect some people. Gastrointestinal problems: Okra contains fructans, which is a type of carbohydrate. Fructans can cause diarrhea, gas, cramping, and bloating in people with existing bowel problems. Kidney stones: Okra is high in oxalates.
How long can you keep frozen okra?
Properly stored, frozen okra will maintain best quality for about 12 months in the freezer, although it will usually remain safe to eat after that.
How do you microwave frozen okra?
Then follow these steps for cooking okra in the microwave:
- Place the okra and 2 tablespoons water in a microwave-safe casserole dish.
- Cover the casserole and microwave on 100% power (high) 4 to 6 minutes or until tender, stirring once.
- Drain well and, if desired, toss with a little butter.
How do you prepare okra for the freezer?
Place whole pods into airtight freezer bags or containers. Or cut pods crosswise prior to freezing. For either method, you can also individually quick freeze pods or pieces by placing them on a parchment-lined tray and slipping it into the freezer for a few hours. Once they’re frozen, place them into freezer bags.
Can frozen okra go bad?
Freezing Okra Okra lasts only 2 to 3 days in the fridge, but is good for 10 to 12 months when frozen.
Can frozen breaded okra be baked?
Frozen breaded okra is commonly deep fried or pan-fried until it is golden brown and crispy. Sprinkle olive oil on a baking sheet, then spread frozen okra in an even layer. Bake it at 400 F for 20 minutes.
Will frozen okra thicken soup?
Yep, that’ ll be fine. For other purposes, it might not be your favorite – sometimes it can get a little more of the “slimy” coating that people don’t like – but since you’re cooking it in gumbo, it’s all just going to get taken up into the stew (where it’ll provide some thickening, as intended), so no worries.
What is the best frozen okra to buy?
Best Sellers in Frozen Okra
- #1. 365 by WFM, Okra Cut, 16 Ounce. 4.6 out of 5 stars 3,268.
- #2. Pictsweet, Premium Cut Okra, 12 oz (Frozen) 4.7 out of 5 stars 813.
- #3. Big C Breaded Okra Frosted 6 lbs. 4.0 out of 5 stars 1.
- #4. Woodstock Farms Sliced Cut Okra, 10 Ounce — 12 per case.
- #5. Woodstock Farms, Okra Sliced, 10 Ounce.
How long do you boil frozen okra?
- Place okra in a sause pan and cover with water, and add lemon juice.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to boil.
- Simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- No longer!
- The taste is great!
- Not mushy, but not crisp at all.
- I used the frozen, cut okra.
Can you use frozen okra to make okra water?
You can soak okra and squeeze the mucilage into water for a cooling drink or blend it with frozen fruit for a nutritious smoothie.